Thursday 2 May 2013

Bee Happy

April showers bring forth May flowers, how true that is.This past week we have had radiant sunshine, small and large hailstones and snow on the Pennines all within one day! There have been several hot days and for the first time this week I wore only a T shirt to garden in, it was wonderful to feel the warmth of the sun. 

All seeds in the greenhouse are all starting to germinate and I am watering them every day. They are all too small to plant out except the tomatoes that  will need to be re potted this coming week.


My greenhouse

The birds are singing from dawn to dusk and the coir liner from my hanging basket seems good for nest building.

The Harper bird unique to the Eden Valley
The recent  news about the shortage of bees has not affected the Artful Garden where there are many rare bee species.


Blue Wanabee 
I love forgetmenots and  the way their colour fades from blue to pink. I have rivers of them in my garden. 


Forgetmenots
Yesterday I noticed that the pear and damson blossom is just beginning to come into flower. Last night was a heavy frost so I do hope the blossom will have chance to set so that we get some fruit this year. Last year there were very few plums or pears.
My beech hedge had come into leaf and this is 2 - 3 weeks later than normal.
The expression coming out of a hedge backwards definitely applied to me, as I grovelled under the low hedge branches at ground level, to retrieve leaves from the back of the hedge. 
I have finished my marathon clearing of the big border that backs onto the hedge. I had to clear some stone piles from previous bed clearances and managed to fill 12 compost bags of weeds, ground elder, ivy and nettles. There was a good feeling of satisfaction when I had finished the final raking of the bed. The bed is now ready for all the plants I am growing. 

I went on a bike ride in Keider Forest in Northumberland and found some frog spawn in a gully along the cycle track, another sign of Spring. 


Frog spawn
I found this stone near the frogspawn, nature can form some lovely patterns. 


What has made these patterns?
In the forest were several fallen trees with the roots exposed.


Can you see the shape of a pelican in the root system?

1 comment:

  1. I see him, I see him how wonderful, wonder how long hes been hiding in there.

    ReplyDelete