Friday 4 November 2016

Pumpkin Parade

I put the final touches to my Halloween display in the Artful Garden on Sunday. It was great fun carving the pumpkin lanterns in different styles.
Homegrown pumpkins and ghords
I put battery operated tea lights inside
I still have pumpkins growing.
A pumpkin captured by a blackberry

This one I am going to make into soup.
Golden orb
Tuesday was a glorious warm day so I continued to dig the phase 2 of my allotment. I am making steady progress. I also got my 3 wheelbarrows planted up with bulbs.

The next morning we had a severe frost that killed all the bedding plants including the nasturtiums and sweet peas I'd picked the day before. When I arrived on the allotment all the flower heads were drooping.
A heavy hoar frost

On Wednesday it was so still on the allotment that you could here the leaves fall pitter patter like gentle rain. So many trees have now lost their Autumnal leaves due to this one frost.

I still have a lupin in flower.
I grew these from seed

The teasels are standing  to attention.
Very prickly to touch

I harvested my winter cauliflowers, more a question of quality not quantity.
I had quite a few blank cauliflowers
I have started to harvest the leeks.
I love the delicate onion smell

I have made some rosemary and mint jelly.
Luckily I picked the mint before the frost

No comments:

Post a Comment