Friday 8 July 2016

Cumbria in Bloom Cometh

What could be more pleasurable than arriving in the farm yard to swallows dipping and diving overhead as they fly across the barn roofs. I see a lot of birds as I garden. Some come very close hoping to find worms and today a little wren flew into the summerhouse but easily found its way out.

I have been weeding my gardens and also putting nets over my fruit bushes as the gooseberries and redcurrants will soon be ripe. I have also netted the peas. Nets are always difficult to put over plants. They are a test of patience and dexterity.

Thursday was the judging in Kirkoswald for Cumbria in Bloom. The lady judges visited the Artful Garden and said it was a garden that made you smile. They took a lot of photos before they were whisked off to their next venue.

The chicken made a flora greeting to the Artful Garden.
Blooming lovely

The Rock Chicks have had a makeover.
Rock a Doodle Do

Fantastico Re- Cycleo has arrived in the orchard. He is on custom made bike from the exclusive Harrogate workshop of Kenno Harpero. He has arrived early for the ToB and hopes to take part.
Somebody told me to turn right
Tour de Force
The rabbit windsock has also been revamped.
Funny bunny

I have temporarily decorated the shed on my allotment.
A new roof, bunting and jugs
Can you see the old garden tools?

The birdhouses I made last year now have a rustic look.
Going cheep

I have painted some clogs in a folk art style.
A study in blue
A study in yellow
A study in red
A giant pair of original clogs

On a walk around the lanes of Kirkoswald there was a lovely smell of honeysuckle.
A heavenly perfume

Can you see the cobwebs clinging onto the branches?
These cobwebs contain a bug

My sweetcorn is growing very well. The tassel at the top of the plant contains the pollen and if you tap it a cascade of pollen dust drifts down onto the cob forming on the side of the plant stalk. This is why you have to plant sweetcorn in a block formation.
The tassel

A cob forming along the stalk

No comments:

Post a Comment