Friday 14 June 2013

Bonny Scotland, Bluebells and Buttercups

Last Friday was my wedding anniversary. As a lovely surprise I went on a day trip to Scotland on the West Highland line from Glasgow to Oban. The day was gin clear from start to finish, such a stunning railway journey. Most of the way it was single track and we passed many lochs, mountains (some are Munros over 914.4 metres.) The train meandered through the hillsides and for a large part of the journey it was single track. You didn't know which window to look out of, as the view in all directions was amazingly picturesque.

The West Highland rail journey
The West Highland rail journey
The West Highland rail journey
The West Highland rail journey
There were carpets of bluebells throughout the journey, vibrant yellow gorse, fresh green leaves on all the trees and vegetation, a little bit of heather, and lots of purple rhododendron.
Golden gorse

Bluebell carpets
I can recommend this journey to everyone. Oban is a delightful town with a wonderful fish restaurant over looking the harbour, all the fish is caught locally.
Oban looking towards the western isles

Oban harbour
I have been spending the week planting out my bedding plants in my home garden and also in my containers. We at last have had some rain which is very good as I have been watering the gardens as the soil has got very dry.

So much has now come into flower. This peony looks so majestic.
Pretty in pink
Dog daisies that have self seeded near my log pile.
Dog daisies sunny centres
Some local fields are full of buttercups, what a joyous sight. Do you remember as a child putting a buttercup under you chin to see how much the yellow shone, this would tell you how much you liked butter? Would it work today with saturated spreads?

A field of buttercups

I have grown a lot of herbs from seed. My pottery birds float above the bonny purple chive flowers.
Birds and chives
The laburnum trees are magnificent with the bunches of vivid yellow flowers.
Laburnum Blossom
Here are some of my pottery houses from my 'cottage garden' range. 


'Cottage garden' pottery house
Cottage garden' pottery house
'Cottage garden' pottery house

The Bottle Babes are disappointed that Lotta Bottle has not arrived in the Artful Garden this week. Her flight was delayed and then she she lost her handbag. Hopefully she should be able to join them next week. Crazy Masie and Looby Loo are still at the Hay Barn Health farm. They are on a fibre rich diet so they also hope to come back to the Artful Garden next week. 


1 comment: