Friday 7 October 2016

Brilliant Blooms

Kirkoswald has achieved a gold award for Cumbria in Bloom. The Artful Garden was mentioned in the report.
"It provides interest with many works in addition to a wide spectrum of plants, vegetables and colour." 
The garden also got a special award of  'Magnificent."

A dry weather week has  allowed me to catch up with my gardening. It is lovely to garden when the sun in shining. 

I have been making a series of wreaths from natural materials experimenting using different plants.
Wreaths for the gate into the Artful Garden.
Made from rowan berries, rosehips and oak leaves
Made from apples and acorns

Hawthorn berries and sycamore keys


I am picking raspberries almost every day.
There is an excellent crop of raspberrries

The apple tree is so heavily ladened that we have had to prop it up.
A bumper crop of apples

The sunflowers are starting to die back I am leaving the flower heads for the birds.
A giant sun

I love the cardoons.
Doon yer think were great?

We have had a slight frost but some of the nasturtiums have survived.
Nasturtiums intertwined with the apples
I love rudbeckias.
Look at the spiky petals 

The monarda is still in full flower.
Purple pincushions

Look at the symmetry of the leaves.
Striking

I found this baseball man in Hexham.
Hi I'm a Hexham Dodger

A strange ladybird has appeared in the Artful Garden.
I'm no lady

Look at the clouds floating over the Eden Valley.
A superb views

No comments:

Post a Comment