Friday 6 May 2016

Allotment Advances

The swallows have returned and the birds are flying with beak loads of nest material. A blackbird has made it's nest in the log pile.

I have had a busy week working between all my gardens trying to keep on top of all the weeding, and the other garden chores that need doing at this time of the year. I have now finished digging over phase 1 of the allotment i.e. inside the wire fence. The sweetcorn structure is now complete and I planted the sweetcorn on Thursday.
The completed sweetcorn propagator
Newly planted sweetcorn notice the purpose designed A frame prop

I have also planted kale and Brussel sprouts and today I am planting broccoli.  I have put covers over them to protect them from rabbits and birds.
Protection to ensure a harvest

A view of my allotment.
Yippee, the plot is clear of couch, buttercup and other pernicious weeds

I have started to dig phase 2, the outer border that has not been dug over for a long time. I am creating a flowerbed and then extending the vegetable plots. I am using some of the turf to rebuild a path and another allotment holder is using some to make a path around their shed.
Fruit bushes have previously been on this site

The verges are coming into flower. Dandelions reign supreme.
Zingy yellow dandelions

Golden buttons

Pretty May blossom.
Frothy May blossom

This tree is smothered with blossom.
Whiteout

I have put cardboard under the gooseberry bushes to protect them from gooseberry sawfly. 
Cardboard collars

The cardoon is growing very fast and is now the height of the garden wall.
It looks like a thistle on steroids

Bright red tulips contrast against the blue forgetmeknots. 
Pillar box red tulips

Tiny violets grow beneath the beech hedge.
Dainty violets

The farmers are busy ploughing their fields.
A familiar sight in the Eden Valley

 The ruin of Kirkoswald Castle is only a field away from the Artful Garden.
A tower of strength

No comments:

Post a Comment