Friday 3 July 2015

Rockcliffe Ramblings

What a difference a week makes to the weather. it has been scorchio this week. Too hot to garden on Wednesday when temperatures were at a record high.

Last week I had a walk around Rockcliffe near Carlisle. We followed the River Eden. The dog roses are now in flower in the hedgerows. So delicate that if you try to pick them the petals drop off.
So fragile and beautiful

Elderflower is now in blossom so I am making Elderflower cordial, very refreshing on a hot day.
Each individual flower blossom is the same shape as the forgetmenot blossom

This is a badger footprint in the mud.
Claws for thought


A broken bird's egg found buried in the grass.
I wonder if the chick survived


A cow pat. The holes are made by dung beetles who will gradually eat away all of the cow pat. Who would like the life of a dung beetle?
Aren't you glad that you can only see and not smell 

The camouflage of this moth is amazing it looks just like a torn leaf.
An incredible structure

This crocodile in the river Eden is posing as a log.
Never smile at a crocodile

The view coming down Hartside.
Look at the different colours of the fields where farmers have taken silage

I am making good progress on my allotment and have now cleared about 2/3 of the patch. I have put some screening up to cover the glass door and am planting foxgloves, poppies and golden hop against the screening.
I have cleared 26 compost sized bags from this allotment

I have been busy restoring all my artwork which will be featured on my blog over the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment