Friday 13 February 2015

Raven Ramblings

Last week the snow started to melt. On my drive up Hartside I entered what looked like Arthur's Kingdom. There was thick mist in the Eden Valley. When I was half way up the hill the sky became clear blue and I was able to look down onto the enveloping mist with the Lakeland hills just peeping above the horizon. It was very atmospheric and spectacular.
Magical
Drifting and floating

Coming back later that day the hills were covered in a light icing sugar dusting of snow.
Looking into the Eden Valley from Hartside cafe
Another view from Hartside cafe

In places the snow was still very deep especially on the roof of the Spar in Alston.
Don't stand, don't stand too close to me

I had a walk along the Raven in Kirkoswald. This is a very interesting walk at any time of the year.The waterfall at the start of the walk.
Plenty of water from thew snow melt

Looking at the Raven through the trees.
A small weir

The meandering Raven.


Catkins.
Hazel catkins

Snowdrops.
Snowdrops growing in the leaf litter

I tree enveloped in moss.
A tree in a moss cardigan

A tree that looks like an elephant's foot.
Tread carefully

Is this a witch's hand?
Ready to grab you

A prehistoric hen's foot.
A hen footprint

Frozen ice puddles.
A lobster of ice

Look at the movement and flow.
You can see the water below the surface

The morning and evening skies are fleetingly dramatic. Stunning sunrise and sunset.
Golden morning
A peach blushed sky

The owls I made with the Kirkoswald school children are now in  the Ravenbridge Stores window. This is the notice about the display.
An owlclamation

Hello can you see me?
Excuse me, you're cramping my view


There's no need to shout.
Did you hear the one about the owl and the pussycat?

Two clever.
Well what do four and four make?

Busy doing housework.
I only just tidied up yesterday, who's making all this mess?


Stars in their eyes.
The bright lights beckon


High flier.
Branching out



No comments:

Post a Comment