Friday 11 July 2014

Cumbria in Bloom

Last Friday when the Cumbria in Bloom judges visited the Artful Garden it was starting to rain was windy and there was a grey sky. They had a short garden tour and thought that it was a fun garden with lots of things in it to make people smile.
I had made a sign but did not erect it until Friday morning in case it got rained on and damaged.


KO in Bloom, looking for sunshine 
Back view of the sign
I have devised some new miniature dragonflies. They are now resting on the runner bean canes along with a large dragonfly. Beside looking decorative I hope they act as bird scarers.


Boozie Floosie looking at the dragonfly


Miniature dragonfly
Unfortunately Boozy Floozie had been on a drinking binge the night before evidenced by the shot glasses she wore around her neck and there was a strong smell of alcohol in that corner of the garden despite her being surrounded by herbs.


Drunk and almost legless
Crazy Maisie was getting eye strain for squinting in the sun so she has acquired a modest pair of sunglasses.



Are the sunglasses Ray Ban?
The feverfew is dominating the garden near the path but it is lovely to brush against it as you walk past.


Miniature poached eggs

I have made an arrangement from the flowers and seed heads I dried last year. Nearly all the flowers retain their colour.
I dry the flowers by hanging them in bunches away from direct sunlight
I am continuing to pick blackcurrants, red currants and have had to put a net over the loganberries so that there are some left to pick. Despite not being ripe the blackbirds have discovered the red fruit.
I have picked 5.4 kilos of new potatoes from my grow bag. This variety in Kestrel and the potatoes loose their shape when boiled.


Kestrel potatoes have a red tinge


Medium and petite cauliflowers
This is a cabbage that I have grown.


The cabbage has a good heart
Again for my Sunday lunch I had all homegrown veg, potatoes, cauliflower, cabbage.


Roast lamb homemade rosemary and mint sauce, potatoes, cauliflower and cabbage
I had a trip to Glasgow. There is a lovely clock in Central station.


Time to catch my train
The architecture and the station roof are quite amazing.


Lovely wooden paneling
The station roof a mass of metal
I stayed in the Hotel du Vin that had some beautiful stained glass windows. This is a superbly beautiful  boutique hotel made up of 6 townhouses.


Burrell windows
The windows are situated opposite the staircases

No comments:

Post a Comment