Friday 15 November 2013

Snow, Sun and Success

Our first snow arrived on Saturday.The cold weather brings it's own beauty and allows you to view nature from a different perspective.
Driving back from Penrith I had a view of the Lakeland and Pennine hills smothered in snow. The day was bright and sunny so the snow reflected the sunshine.


A view of Blencathra from the road to Plumpton
Looking towards the snow on Cross Fell part of the Pennine range of hills

In my garden the poor bees became frozen and they looked as if they had been sleeping in a freezer.  


A non buzzing bee
Heck I can't see. Am I wearing goggles?

The sculptural shape of plants is enhanced when covered in frost or snow. 


Frozen lollipop shaped flowerheads
I love how the frost enhances the green of the leaves


My yellow hot pokers are now cold and the flowerheads have drooped with the cold weather making the flowerhead upside down.
Topsy turvey frozen yellow pokers

Many trees are decked with masses of berries hopefully supplying a good harvest for the birds this winter. These hawthorn berries looked as though they had been polished as the frost melted.


An abundance of hawthorn berries
The elderberries are still on the trees.They look like black shiny beads.


Shiny clusters of black elderberries

Autumn is the time for dramatic skies.


A moody sky

I look out onto Kirkoswald tower from the Artful Garden. Having finished an afternoon gardening this was my view. I have been clearing the flowerbeds of the annuals and planting bulbs. I have returned home smothered in mud as the ground is very wet, but I have managed to get all my bulbs planted and the flowerbeds cleared. 


Kirkoswald church bell tower at twilight
Now the leaves have fallen from the trees you can see the tree's silhouette. 


Taken at day break over the garden wall

No comments:

Post a Comment