Saturday 7 January 2017

A Wan Walk

I had an interesting walk around Wan Fell. This is one of the few remaining low heath habitats in Cumbria. It is acidic valley bog joined by wet heath land areas.
Looking from Wan Fell towards Cross Fell.
A hint of snow on the hilltops from this bronze environment

Looking across the fields towards Lazonby.
Lush grassland compared to bleak heath land
One of the many small quarries on the site.
Mining using hand equipment must have been very hard
Bracken dominates the area
Large boulders and rocks


Gorse adds a splash of colour to the heath land.
A tinge of yellow

A 'cripple hole' to allow sheep to escape to an adjoining field.
Look through the cripple and what do you see

Rabbits find it easy to make burrows in the soft sand.
One bunny, two bunny, three bunny and many more

There is a large sandstone quarry on the site.
Mining sandstone
Many local buildings are made from Lazonby sandstone including my own home

I have dismantled my Christmas display in the Artful Garden so everything is looking quite dull after the Christmas cheer. I have put raincoats on all the scarecrows to protect them from the winter chills.
Boozy Floosy just needs a hot toddy to keep her warm


Bobby Barley dreams of football and playing for the first division
Crazy Maisie's sombrero reminds her of summer
Looby Loo is suffering from fashion fatigue

I have also added a series of hats to the Gossip Heads that look over the garden wall. 

It's amazing what you see from here. Did you hear about Mrs B she .........

I have made a flower from dogwood. I found that you can use it like willow. 
I have added dried cardoon and fennel heads to this display

I have been experimenting with my pottery using different glazes and oxides.
A wren on a leaf


No comments:

Post a Comment