Friday 11 September 2015

Preserves and Planting

I have had a busy two weeks reorganising the flower beds in my home and the Artful Garden. Also I have been harvesting the vegetables and making my annual preserves. 

The runner beans are growing quickly and it does not seem to matter if they get very long they are not stringy.
Look at the pretty poppies and calandula

Runner beans chopped by hand ready to be cooked and then put into the pickle mix. This in an excellent way of preserving surplus runner beans.
Its bean a long time to make

I have harvested the green tomatoes and the home grown chillies and have made 24 jars of hot tomato relish, a family favourite.
I wear plastic gloves to protect my hands from the hot chillies

There are still some pretty flowers in bloom.

Brachyscombe.
Purple daisy faces

This vibrant purple flower.
An intense colour in the flower border

Sneezewort.
I love the name of this plant

Moderna that comes in many shades.
Tassel topped flowers

I managed to get some sunflowers to grow after a disastrous start with rabbit damage.
Plenty of seeds for the birds to feed on in winter


I love the cardoon as  they tower towards the sky.
A beefy thistle shape

Cows with their calves are in the fields.
There is still plenty of grass available

The farmers are harvesting the corn.
Golden corn

The mornings are chilly and misty with the promise of a warm a sunny day.
Mist floating in the Eden Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment