Friday 5 September 2014

Plums and Pleasure

I was delighted to be invited to have my blog linked to the RHS Community Gardening/Bloom Facebook page. Everyone is welcome to look at the garden over the garden wall. It is a private garden and I am the gardener and artist but not the owner of the garden.  

I have a great love of gardening and enjoy using my imagination to decorate the garden with artwork in the form of scarecrows, bees butterflies and many other characters that appear on my blog. I use nature and the countryside for inspiration and I am also always on the look out for humour in its many guises.

On Sunday I walked along the old railway line at Keswick in the Lake District. Greta bridge won an award as the best concrete structure of the century. The view under the arches of the bridge is attractive.

Holiday cottages along the river Greta
This shaggy inkcap fungus was along the path.


I was told by a passerby that they live up to their name
I understand that they smell at night
The trees are loaded with rosy red hawthorn berries, perfect for the birds in winter.


A bounty of hawthorn berries
This week there have been some very warm and sunny days which has allowed me to catch up on all the weeding in the Artful Garden. This is one of the best times of the year as you can dine on plums and raspberries as you garden. I am still picking runner beans.


The Autumn raspberries are ripening fast
Can you see Jack?
The damson and Victoria plums are almost ripe. The branches of the Victoria plum are so heavy with fruit that I have had to prop them up.


Plentiful plums
A delicious Victoria plum
I have used homegrown chili peppers, tomatoes and onions to make Hot Tomato Relish. All my family love this and you can also make it with green tomatoes.
      
Red chilies in the greenhouse
.
Gardeners Delight, a bountiful crop and they taste so sweet and smell superb

Onions drying in the greenhouse. Now ready to hang up in old tights to store for the winter

A family favourite
Potatoes come in novelty shapes.


Can you see a face with a lopsided smile?
I have remodelled the daisy flowers to make them waterproof.


Daisies and a homemade windmill
Also I have had to redesign the sunflowers who greet people who walk up the road.


Giant sunflowers 
Lotta Bottle has been complaining about having new gloves. She always wants to be the centre of attention and so she thought serving cups of tea to the male visitors would get her noticed. She forgot about the washing up.


Can you see the teapot and poor Chumsie Bunny is being pushed out of the photo?
I have seen two vans where the back doors of the van is decorated. So much more interesting than a boring plain door.


What a brilliant idea
Move over please
How about a ride in Claude?  



Lobster without chips
Check out the number plate
   

No comments:

Post a Comment