Friday 11 October 2013

Wind, Rain and Rosy Glows

The weather has turned cold and some of the sunflowers in the Artful Garden were broken in the gales. I was hoping to keep them so the birds could feed off the seed heads.

I have continued the weed the gardens and I will soon have to plant the tulips and daffodil bulbs which should have already been planted by now.

Many of the leaves are turning the russet colours of autumn even the strawberry leaves.


Rosy red strawberry leaves

I found this empty bird's nest in the honeysuckle when it was pruned. I hope it's owner returns next year.


The beautiful construction of a bird's nest

I am still picking runner beans and raspberries but as the weather turned colder everything is slowing down.

I still have yellow and red chard growing in the garden but it has now gone to seed.


Glowing golden chard
Vibrant rosy red chard

There have been so many apples this year and with the strong winds many have blown off the trees so in places we have a carpet of apples.

Crabapples

The feverfew is still flowering, it always looks so bright a cheerful.


Fried egg feverfew

I saw these Belted Galloways on a trip top North Yorkshire. They look as though they have a white bandaged around their middles. Sometimes the 
white line is not so defined.


White stripe

This was a lovely view across the fields on my way to Garrigill.


Stunning view


A long and winding road

Another moody view from the top of Hartside.


Captivating

This monument has been erected next to Hartside cafe.


How far to Penrith?

This pouffe cover is my first attempt at knitting. I am very pleased with it.


Top


Side view

Cherie the Ooh La La Bird has had surgery on her neck and has gone for a seaweed wrap to try and prevent further damage.



Cherie recovering in my kitchen

1 comment: